Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Exploring Old Part of Cuenca - Tues. Oct. 23rd

Ed and I just wanted to explore parts of the Old City.  We really didn't have anything that we had to see.  We just wanted to walk around and get to know the city better.

Our cleaning lady arrives on each Tuesday morning at 9:00 so we always try to leave the condo to get out of her way.  So, this is the day we have set aside to explore. 

The condo above us has a balcony with several potted plants and yesterday we watched a few hummingbirds fly by our master bedroom window.  So, I came up with the idea I needed a hummingbird feeder!  So, I went to Google Translate and found out the Spanish words would be for "hummingbird feeder".  I then asked Kelly, our cleaning lady, where I might find such a thing.  At first she didn't understand 'hummingbird', so I had to show her a picture of one on the Internet.  She told me there was a store in the Central Old City but she had no idea just where.  I thought this might be a good mission for today.

We grabbed a taxi and asked just to be taken to the Flower Market.  Then, as we got closer, Ed asked the driver if he know about a shop that might have a hummingbird feeder.  He drove us to a street and said there was a store on this street or across in the Market. 

So, I headed for the Market first.  I really just wanted to take pictures; the bird feeder became the second mission.  
The market was mostly clothes, shoes, socks, backpacks and leather items.  It was fun just walking through the narrow pathways between vendors.  Then, we crossed to the vendors that were in front of the building you see in the back of the picture.

Now, we were seeing some different items; woven tablecloths, wool blankets, woven wall hangings, ponchos and winter type of baby clothes.


 I just had to try on the traditional poncho to model and see if I could pass for a local.  The problem was yesterday was the warmest day in Cuenca so far and here I was wearing this winter wool poncho!  It seems all the Expat ladies have them but I don't think I would like one that I have to pull over my head.
 
 This charming lady was helping me select a new woven table cloth for our dining room table.  Also, in her area was a young woman and her young son.  While I was shopping, Ed was playing soccer with the little boy.  The kid would not even stand by himself but sure could kick the ball.
 
From the market, we returned to the street the cabbie had told us we would find the bird store.  The store was very narrow and would have been very easy to pass right by, but Ed found it.

Now the store had one cage of birds for sale but really had a great collection of beautiful cages for sale.  They did not have the hummingbird feeder that I was looking for but we bought something I think can work.  The store also carried lots of seeds for veggies and flowers for a garden.
 
The shop also carried bird seed (80 cents a bag) and dog food, and all items for bird cages you would ever need (feeders and water dishes).  So, I bought 2 bags of bird seed, a water dish and a water bottle that would normally hang inside a cage, but I hope to tape it to our window.
 
 
By now it was time to feed Ed, so we headed off in one direction to find the Hotel Inca Real that we had eaten at before.  The following pictures are just ones I snapped while walking.
Selling slices of pineapple, coconut chunks, and some type of berry
Loved this little lady staying in the shade of her umbrella, selling something
 
Yes, it looks like ice cream but it never melts so it has to be a whipped something
 
 
 
Young mother selling her oranges on the street corner with her son strapped to her back
 
We passed a few stores selling Halloween stuff for kids -
 
It was time for lunch in the cafe in the Hotel Inca Real.  This was our second time eating there and just had to make sure it was still as good as we remembered.  

 
They start you off with their wonderful dip and fresh bread.  We learned the last time the dip is made from tomato juice, olive oil, onions, garlic and spices = yum!
 

 
Now, Ed and I knew we would be going to dinner at DiBacco this evening so we went "light" on lunch.   We only ate half our weight in the bread and dip.  We selected a tapas called Txapela.  It was fresh fried asparagus, serrano ham, brie cheese all wrapped in eggplant slices and sauteed.  We did split one so that was a good thing.
 
Txapela Tapas
 
 
Then, we split the appetizer of sauteed shrimp in olive oil, spices & tons of fresh garlic...
 
 
OK, I almost didn't get a picture of our final dish...we just dug into too quickly - it was just that good.  It was Brocheta de Camarones y Lomo Fino.  It was 2 small skewers of shrimp, bacon, portabello mushrooms, green peppers, onion and several chunks of sirloin beef perfectly cooked.
 
Our total bill with drinks and tip was less than $30.  We might need to rethink about going to dinner tonight!
 
While we were in the restaurant, we got to meet another couple staying at the hotel & touring Ecuador to find out if they would like to move here.  They were Sally and Stan from Reno, Nevada.  We got to chatting with them all during our lunch.  I just have a feeling we will see them in the future.
 
Time to return to condo, rest and get ready for our night out at DiBacco's at their Gringo Night.  We arrived just a few minutes after 5:00pm.  This restaurant is also located in the old part of Cuenca.  I love their orange margaritas, something different and not too sweet!
 
Last night we were not the newbies.... there were two people that we met that had arrived in the past 12 & 13 days.  Peter had a very interesting story; born in Hong Kong, raised in the far East, Jesuit college in Syracuse, NY.  He had been very successful in business then 2008 hit hard.  Then, the past year had lived in Panama and shared his thoughts of why he moved here.  We also met Llona and she is another with a very interesting story.  She did come down in March to scope out the city and find a place to live and is getting settled quickly.  I liked her very much.
 
Sorry for not having any pictures of last night, I'm a failure!  I was just having too much fun meeting and talking to people.  The dinner was super and I had Kelly (their waitress from Vermont) select my entree and she did well.  I had pasta with a light cream sauce and peas and stuff.... I could not believe I ate the whole thing.
 
Life is good and loving it,
Peggy
 
 
 
 

 
 
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment