Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Seville - Sept. 15th - Sunday - Cordoba to Seville - Part 1

Sunday - Sept. 15th …. Depart Cordoba & Drive to Seville

This morning we all loaded our stuff into two cabs and went to the train station.  Ed and I didn't know if we could drive back into the Old Jewish Quarter so made everyone come with us!  I had reserved two 5 passenger mini-vans.  I was upgraded to a Mercedes mini-van and I got to have one other driver on the lease and Jim was selected.  We also opted to have GPS to be on the safe side of finding out way in and out of the cities.  The only other mini-van they had was a standard transmission - so Ed was upgraded to a full size Mercedes sedan!  Tony was going to be Ed's second driver on that car.

It took a couple of minutes to figure out how to load the cars and get settled.  I hadn't driven for several months and had to get the feel again and driving in a foreign didn't help much.  But, Ed was leading and off we went south to Seville.  It turned out not to be that far of drive, less then 2 hours.  It was a nice highway to travel on but the views weren't great.

I took the lead about half way there, because Ed was chatting and having trouble doing the speed limit.  Jim was my co-pilot and delivered us directly to the hotel with me only having to watch the traffic…great job, Jim!  You've redeemed yourself after Italy!!!

We had reservations at the Gran Melia Colon Hotel in the older section of town and upon arrival, I turned the car over to valet and didn't want to see it for a couple of days.  We were now back on foot or taxi.





 




This hotel would be perfect (5-stars) except for the bathroom.  I found the tub/shower is very difficult to climb into & out of without taking you life into your hands.  This to me is a real problem….

It is Sunday and all the shops and many restaurants are closed so the hotel suggested an area where we could find some good food.  It was a lovely stroll through the pedestrian area lined with shops.  I believe the guys were happy everything was closed or we never would have gotten any food.

We found an Italian restaurant about 15 minutes from the hotel and tried it.  The service and food was all excellent….happy campers.




 Jim get a BIG beer.

 This is their mixed salad that Sheila & Tony enjoyed
 Jim loves gnocchi and was very pleased to see it on the menu….we knew what he was having… You can see below that he's a very happy guy with his dinner.

 Ed and I selected the seafood dinner with came with a boiled lobster, clams and mussels … I had to work for my dinner but OH so worth it….


Jim is getting into the Spanish life style.  He was told about how the Spanish ladies can converse with their fans…I think he was telling us he's full and happy!

We all needed to walk back to the hotel after that meal.  But, tomorrow morning was an early start at 9:00 for our all day walking tour of Seville with our local guide, Carmen.  This is part 2 of Seville…

Peggy

No comments:

Post a Comment