Saturday, August 25, 2012

Productive Day !!!

We are down to less than three weeks until our departure to Ecuador.  It seems my list of things to do or buy is getting longer not shorter.  I am feeling stressed!  I have been putting all the items that are going down with us in a bedroom. The room was full and is just getting worse. 

I've been guided by expats living there what they suggest I bring:

  Good bed sheet sets - hard to find and expensive there
  Favorite pillows - if you need them
  Electric blanket but we've opted for a good down blanket
  Mattress pad
  * A good memory foam mattress pad for my bad back
  Large bath towels sets 
  Warm clothes that you can layer & wool socks
  Rain Jacket & Totes umbrella
  Good walking shoes 

I've also been told that certain spices are not available or not easily found in Cuenca.  I've included our favorite ones:
  Black Pepper Corns
  Old Bay Spice Packets
  Cinnamon
  Onion Powder
  Garlic Power
  Celery Salt
  Chili Powder
  Tabasco Sauce - Ed couldn't live without this one

I have also decided to include things we still own, so we don't have to buy them again down there:
  DVD player with a few movies
  Good fry pan
  My favorite saucepan with lid
  Good kitchen knives
  My other preferred utensils:
          Hand held cheese grater
          Good Grips Veggie Peeler
          Good Grips hand held can opener
          Measuring spoons
          Wine opener & VinVac with stoppers
          Pepper Mill
  Lipton Decaf large tea bags - we understand it isn't easy to
  find these locally & these are Ed's favorite
  My size XL Kitchen Rubber Gloves
  Bathroom night lights

I had also keep a few things aside from our estate sale: a few special pictures and several trinkets with special memories of our travels. 

There were other items that I feel might be needed:
  Special nails for cement walls
  Adaptors to change electrical 3 prong plugs to a 2 prong
  Good surge protector for our computers for when we arrive

We didn't have enough large suitcases for this move.  I hated to spend a lot of money on luggage that we wouldn't use again.  I researched on a great web site; www.ebags.com to see what they offered.  I found the Kelty XL duffel bag.  It is made of strong polyester and reinforced bottom and the cost was reasonable.  I bought six of them!

Yesterday was a very productive day for me.  I had bought lots of bubble wrap for all the breakables items.  I got about 80% of all the stuffed packed into one box, one large suitcase and two Kelty Duffel bags.  I marked the duffel bags with our name and a number on each one.  As I was packing each bag I made a complete inventory of the contents.  I printed off the list so I would know what each bag held. 



 
It now feels like this journey is becoming real to me.  I kept waiting for that to happen and it just took some serious packing!  Ed has the other big hard sided suitcase with him in Montana and I needed it to pack the other 20%.  I still have two of my favorite pictures to pack in that one.  They are double wrapped in bubble wrap and then in a large bath towel.  I feel they have a good chance to making it down there. 
 
The other project that I wanted to work on is getting my receipts put in order.  I am scanning only my favorite recipes into the computer for the trip.  Yesterday, I went through hundreds of recipes and sorted them all out.  Now, I have a stack of the ones that will be scanned.  Another project is getting under control.
 
I also got two other boxes packed and mailed yesterday.  The first box was to my cousin.  It contained two items from my grandmother, an old plate and vase.  I had found them while I was getting organized for our estate sale.  The second box was to my brother-in-law.  Ed had an old film camera with a zoom lens and flash that he wanted to give Jim. Yup, a productive day!.......
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment