Thursday, October 4, 2012

A Sad Story

This is a sad story of me buying something and getting... duped, mislead, swindled, bamboozled, hoodwinked or just plain old taken.  How did this happen....

First, I am a woman.  I love flowers.  Just a couple of months ago I had an impressive collection of floral vases; from ones that were perfect for a single stem to a large vases to hold a couple of dozen long stem roses (not that I got those often, but when I did, I was ready).  It had taken me 44 years to gather those vases in different sizes, colors and materials.  I love flowers and a pretty vase just sets them off (like a frame for a picture)!  

When we were newly weds, living in Germany, Ed was very good about bringing me flowers and he remained that way throughout all these years.  But, it was my cousin, Rodney, that sent me the most beautiful bouquet most recently.  It was just a couple of short months ago, I was in the middle of selling our home, getting ready for the estate sale and deciding what if anything I should keep.  My kids didn't want any of my 'junk'.  Rodney and Sue sent me these flowers with a note that said "Stop and smell the flowers"  how very thoughtful!

 
Second, when you have a beautiful bouquet of flowers it is always lovely to have the perfect vase for them.  Here I had been using a glass pitcher and that was OK for the time being.  But, I was on the hunt for a lovely vase in which I could proudly display my fresh flowers. 
 
We had gone to Coral (the two story Walmart knock off store here).  I went up and down the aisle trying to pick the best vase.  I found the very practical clear glass vase that would nicely fit a large bouquet of flowers but I wanted pretty.  Then, I spotted a really nice frosted  green glass vase and the price was double that of the clear glass.  Do I go for the splurge?  Darn, I had so many lovely vases .... they're gone.... so go for the splurge!
 
I was excited to get my new vase home and arrange my 2 dozen pink roses in it.  I set the bouquet on the buffet server where I could easily see them from the front door, living room or in the dining room. 
 
Well, last night it was time to change the water and trim the bottoms off the roses.  I took the bouquet into the kitchen and pulled the roses out and set them in the sink.  I started to wash the green vase inside and the "green glass" started to wash right off.  It was a film on the glass and when water hit it the film peeled off!  I ended up with a clear glass vase for twice the price! 
 
So, now my beautiful green frosted glass vase is just plain clear glass..... and I paid double the price for it!
 
 
Duped Peggy

No comments:

Post a Comment