Monday, October 1, 2012

Monday Mercado Shopping

I have been looking forward to experiencing the shopping in a local Mercado.  This morning we needed to go into the Old Central part of Cuenca to turn in several documents to be translated and then notarized.  We didn't have a really good address where we needed to go so our taxi driver had to phone in for directions.  It is amazing how helpful the people really are if you try to speak Spanish.  The front desk lady at the Nexus Language School was super friendly and very helpful, just as we had been told by other Expats.  Thank heavens for Ed and speaking Spanish and it is coming back to him very fast.  We have an appointment on Thursday at 10:00am, just another step to our residency!

From the translator's office, we walked about 8 blocks to the Mercado we were told about.  It was the perfect day for a slow stroll through the old city.  The sun was out the temperture was lovely.  The first thing we came upon was the local microbrewery.  I loved the looks of the old building.




















We love walking around the Old City because of all the old beautiful buildings. 

 
The Old City has the old and new mixed side by side. 


We came upon a pet shop and Ed was very thankful that our lease does not allow any pets!  I would have brought this darling home.... Yes, it's a mini-schnauzer!!!!  Oh, heavens how I miss Maggie & Scarlett.

It was just a couple of blocks more and then we were shopping in the Mercado.
It is 'indoors' with many long aisles of small vendors selling their fresh fruits and veggies.  The colors of all the fresh items were just beautiful. 




Yes, there was a rather large fresh meat section but since we have NO idea what we are getting we didn't shop there.  I haven't seen a cut of beef that resembles anything we know in the U.S.
 
As Ed was talking to one vendor lady and trying to explain we were looking for Cilantro and could not remember the other name.  I spotted this young beauty helping her mother.....
 
 


The prices seemed to be a few cents up to $1.00 for everything and they would hand you a bunch for that amount.  We spent about $10 dollars and have lots of fresh veggies.  Ed will be making his world famous home made tomato sauce tomorrow morning....!  He will one very large batch and then we will freeze it in smaller amounts.  Also, on the agenda is for him make his great salsa.

After we finished shopping at the Mercado and my shopping bag weighed 15 pounds,  Ed required lunch.  So, we headed back in the direction we had come from to find a place.  We came upon a small Mexican cafe and when I say small I mean a total of 6 tables.  Ed ordered 2 soft chicken tacos with guacamole and I had the chicken quesedilla with guacamole and salsa.  My plans were to take a picture of our lunch, but it arrived & we launched into it and didn't stop... everything was excellent.  Sorry, I'll try to do better!  We washed it down with a new beer for us.... good but I prefer the local Pilsner, this one seemed a little bitter to me.



Our bellies were full and I was a happy camper.  I got to go shopping, have fun, enjoyed a good lunch with hubby and got some pictures... that's a good day for me.  So, it was time to hale a taxi and get our goodies back to the condo
 

Our goodies from the Mercado
 
We got our food put away and it was time to head out again for more shopping!  It was back to Coral (the big two story Walmart).  We still needed things.  We were better organized this time and got the items on our list and was out of there and back home in 2.5 hours.  I think this time we were not so over whelmed by the size and knew where certain departments were and it began to make a little sense to us.  We picked up a new blender/food processor (for Ed's salsa), a new radio alarm clock, an ironing board (wasn't sure I wanted it because it means works - but I hear I can hire a lady to do that) and just more basic items for a new home.
 
So, what will Tuesday bring?  You'll have to stayed tuned....
 
 
Peggy

No comments:

Post a Comment