Monday, October 1, 2012

Near & Dear to My Heart = FOOD!

Everyone who knows me will realize this had to be discussed ... FOODS and what is available here.  Ed did the first shopping trip the night we arrived at the local Super Maxi store.  He walked down the 5 blocks and came home with a story to share with me.  I was looking forward to my first experience grocery shopping.  I was amazed at what all is available but some of the prices are rather steep.  But, there were other stores I needed to experience.

The first meal Ed fixed was a wonderful chicken noodle soup.  Ed bought 2 pieces of chicken and found these great noodles for soup.  That soup feed us for 3 meals and I never got tired of it because of the great taste.  It was ALMOST as good as Faye Groves....

Next, Ed made a Beef Stew and we have found the beef to be a little on the dry and tough side.  He had to cut the pieces of meat very small to try get them softer.  Now, he did put in some local small potatoes that also tasted like butter!  I think part of the problem is the sauce pan we have in the condo is very cheap and thin so it is very hard to get things to just low simmer.  We just bought a crock pot and I believe this will help us do more slow and low cooking.

Here are some of the items you can now find in our pantry:
 
Above is the size of the Kleenex box we bought locally.  The price per box is $1.00 but look at the size of the tissue compared to the American size.

 
Oreo Cookies come in a package with 12 individual packs inside

Wheat Crackers we found & we like - again they come with 12 individual packs inside.

We have not tried these but I hope they remind me of a Club Crackers

OK, Doritos chips - not opened yet

Lays Potato Chips - much less salt but tasty

Kraft Mayo is $4.89 per small bottle
 
 
Yes, we bought the brands we like when we find them
 



Tomato Paste $1.00 per bag & we were told to use to make our own tomato sauce that we'll freeze in small batches

Wines we have tried and thought OK - between $11 to $13 per bottle

Their local brand of beer and light flavor (reminds me of Miller Light) but the price is right
 
Their "Tide" soap was $5. for 25 loads & Local brand of Softener $4.00



Two juice boxes that Ed has found he likes $1. per box

The small box of milk for Ed's coffee $4.85 - That reminds me of the price of milk we had to pay in Saudi Arabia.  I'm thankful our son isn't here to require the amount he drank back then.
 
 
So, now you have an idea what is in our pantry and I do find it fun to shop here.  Yes, there is diet Pepsi but I have not needed to buy any yet.  The next exciting shopping will be at a local Mercado.
 
 
Peggy
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment