Sunday, October 14, 2012

Sunday - Lunch & Flower Market

The last couple of days have been pretty quiet for us.  I had been really looking forward to going to the Mercado yesterday morning (Saturday).  We both woke up not feeling the best so we just took a day off and relaxed.  I made a crock pot of chicken and dumplings.  That's one nice thing about being retired, you can do as you please.  I'll just look forward to going to the market another day.

This morning we both felt better so we decided to go out to lunch.  Most all the shops & restaurants in Cuenca are closed on Sunday.  We have a short list of places that are opened.  They are mostly in the hotels. 

Today, we tried the Goda Restaurant in the Empresa Hotelera in the old section of town.  We had a wonderful young male taxi driver and he spoke excellent English.  He also pointed out a couple of the old buildings to us.  I got his cell number and will be calling him when I need to be driven someplace by myself. 

When we arrived at the restaurant, we were sure it was closed, there was no one in the place.  We walked through the hotel lobby into the restaurant and then we saw three local gentlemen sitting at a table in the far back. 

The restaurant offers a full bar, a nice section of wines and several beers.  They also start you off with a fresh tomato salsa and the most wonderful crackers made just for the restaurant. 
Ed just asked our waitress for a glass of red wine and he was very pleased with it.  Ed asked to see what he was drinking and she brought him the bottle.  It was from Chili and the Emiliana Vineyards 2010 Syrah at $5 per glass.  It was full of berries, rich flavor but a smooth finish.  We will be looking into buying a couples bottles of this wine at the grocery store. 
 
I had Miller Draft beer only because they didn't carry the local Pilsner.  We both had an appetizer; I had the shrimp avocado salad (excellent) and Ed tried their onion soup.  Now, the soup was very different because it was a rich chicken based soup, very tasty and full of flavor.  I believed it had a 1/4 pound of cheese on top.
 
The menu had an excellent selection of steaks, chicken, seafood and pasta.  Yup, we both went for pasta because it was a comfort food for us today.  I choose the spaghetti Carbonara and Ed had the spaghetti in a seafood sauce.  Mine was OK but it had way too much sauce on it for me.  I could only eat a quarter of it, so I'll add extra noodles and have another meal for the both of us.  Ed was happy with his choice and brought home enough for his lunch tomorrow.
 
When our lunches were boxed to bring home, our waitress told Ed had she had put some of the crackers we liked in there for us.  What we didn't know, she had also put a bowl of the tomato salsa in there also. Yum!
 
The restaurant was located about 3 to 4 blocks from the main square.  We leisurely strolled down to the square and then on to the Flower Market.  When we got to the Old Square, we noticed a horse drawn carriage offering rides, a touch of olden days.
 
I was on a mission to buy my weekly allowance of roses.  I went to the same lady I had selected my last bunch (2 dozen) of roses from two weeks ago.  I saw a beautiful yellow & salmon colored bunch but thought I had better look around.  There just might be something else that catches my eye more.  So, I went from vendor to vendor and they were all eager to show me their best.
Marcia - thinking of you!!!!
 While we were walking in the Flower Market, we noticed a little boy "washing" his ball in the water fountain.  Ed tried to help and he told Ed "no".  




 
Across the street was a guy playing some type of music.
 Sunday in Cuenca is for families spending time together.  They stroll the old streets with their children, going to parks and going to get an ice cream.  We just love to people watch.  The city captures your heart and the people are the warmest we have ever come upon.


Today was a good day here and we love our new adventure more each day. 
 
The flowers I bought were the first ones I had seen.  I also added a couple of stems of Ginger to the bunch of roses.... I love coming home with an arm load of flowers and having only spent $7.
My flowers in the dining room
 
Flowers on my office desk....
 
May all your days be good ones while you're living your dream,
 
Peggy
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment