Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Tiestos Cafe & Restaurant

After the market this morning, Ed and I headed out to lunch after we dropped off all the food at the condo.  I thought we would just go out and "grab" a bite to eat.  Little did I know, we were heading into a full dining experience.  Ed had read a review on this restaurant and wanted to try it.

Tiestos Cafe & Restaurant is located in the old part of Cuenca.  It is located at Juan Jaramilio 7-34.  The word tiestos refers to the hot clay dishes or platters on which the food is served at the table.

The whole place is just full of old world charm and has an open kitchen.  You can see into the open kitchen from the main dining area.  We sat in the small side dining area with only four tables.  I loved the art work on the walls.


Open Kitchen
Our small side dining area
When we first started looking over the large menu to see what we wanted.  We did get a little confused.  The first page on the top listed "Entradas (Individuals)".  Then, it seems that much of the menu is listed for groups of 2 or 4 people to share.  What we didn't understand is this is for a several course lunch or dinner.  On the fourth page there is also listed "Carnes (individuales)".  Here is where they offer the chicken or beef and also vegetarian dishes as individual  item at a very reasonable price, $9.25 up to $17.30.
 
It didn't take long before our server knew we were rookies and needed assistance.  Juan Carlos Solano, the owner & chef, came to our rescue.  He asked what we like and I told him "If there was one thing that he wanted us to really know about his cooking, what dish would that be".  He suggested something and we both agreed, really not certain what we were getting.  Juan explained that one item would be served and then cleared before the next item was presented.  So, we knew we were getting more than one dish.
 
*On the menu what we received was "Menu Degustacion / 2 persons" on the top of page 4.  This is the full  course menu we had .....
   
We were started off with lots of small relish dishes and fresh bread.  The dishes were carefully explained to us.  They all were good and great on the bread.  I do remember a wonderful spicy tomato dish that I especially liked.  The other was an excellent chimichurri sauce, that we learned was the chef's special recipe of blended spices. 
 
The restaurant does have a very nice selection of mixed drinks, wine and beer.  I had their local Pilsner and Ed went for a half bottle of Cono Sur Merlot from Chili, a lovely wine.
 
 
The first item we started with was Sopa de Camarones or Shrimp Soup.  It was had delicate broth but full of flavor.  I tried to tell which spices were used, but couldn't.  Ed thought it was a curry, but I didn't think that but could not tell what it was.  I got to ask Juan and he shared it was cumin and brought some dried cumin out to the table to make sure I understood the spice.  It was so light in the soup that it didn't over take the shrimp flavor.  The soup also had small chunks of potatoes there were almost creamy tasting.  I could have just made a meal out of the soup and been very happy.



The soup dishes were cleared and out came the next course.... I wasn't sure it could get better than the soup.  The next dish was served on a hot clay dish they are famous for.  It was Langostinos al Tiesto or Langostinos Lobsters on a hot clay dish.  When they serve you this dish, they spoon out a couple of shrimp onto your clean plate and then spoon over some addition sauce.  There were 6 large langostinos on the platter when served - a very generous portion for us, considering to was only the second course.  We were also taught to dip our bread into the sauce.
 
Along came many other dishes.... white rice, a cucumber salad, a potato salad, french fries, and a tiny round pasta dish.  But, none of them were like any traditional dish we had seen.  No, the flavors were more layered, and local seasonings were used.  Juan has a love and passion for food and cooking, and it shows in each item that is prepared in his kitchen.


 The Langostino dish was cleared and I already had a very full stomach. How could I possibly eat more?  But, the food is almost addictive, and you just wanted to continue to see what came next.
 
 
It was Pollo al Curry, or chicken curry served on another hot clay dish.  Now, I do have to admit that I am not a big curry fan because I find the flavors to strong in the use of curry powder.  Juan has a very light hand with all his flavors, like a lover stoking his mistress, tender and caring.  I was delighted with my chicken curry dish and would go back just for it again.  Juan came out and added a cube of fresh pineapple to a piece of my chicken.  OK, pineapple is another thing I don't like - but it blended with the curry like a marriage made in heaven.  I knew we had one more dish to come so I stopped eating my chicken curry, which was difficult.
 
I really needed to stop eating, and found myself excited to try our Lomo Crema y Tomate or beef medallions in a cream sauce with a grilled tomato on top.  If you thinks it sounds good, well I don't even begin to describe how it tasted.... a bit of heaven!
The sauce I believe had a subtle hint of Parmesan cheese...  OK, so I could not finish my beef, but it and the rest of my chicken curry made the trip home with me.  I will have sweet dreams of my next taste of those dishes tomorrow.
 
But, according to Juan, we were not done yet; he insisted we try at least a shared dessert.  I can not even begin to tell you about this.  It was  a delicate chocolate mouse on top of a chocolate nut cake, served with a passion fruit ice cream topped with whipped cream.... I was ready to die and go directly to heaven after this meal.
The artistry of the presentation was absolutely remarkable.  It was a plain white plate but hand decorated with fruit sauces.  Each color represented a fruity reduction with tiny seeds depicting the center of each flower.  Ed said he could have just licked the art off the plate!
 
Now, the price by the local standards is a little high but for all the excellent food & service we received, we were well pleased.  The total bill including a Pilsner, a half bottle of wine ($13.55), a bottle of water and the tip was $70.00.  But, you can not put a price on a memory and that is what this experience was to us.
 
For our friends and family that dined with us at the Tower Club in Washington DC this restaurant is equally as good!  We've not had better since the Tower Club - and that says a lot!  So, when you come to visit expect a dining experience at this restaurant!
 
Bon Appetit,
Peggy
 

No comments:

Post a Comment