Monday, November 12, 2012

My Hummingbirds Visit

I had to look very hard in Cuenca to find a hummingbird feeder but found one at Kywi close to the airport (a kinda of Home Depot).  Another Gringo told me about this store and that she had found a feeder there.  We went the following day.

I have very fond memories of sitting on my Aunt Opal's front porch in east Texas where she had one of three hummingbird feeders located.  She explained to me that the feeders have to be far enough apart for not one bird to control all the feeders.  Opal & I loved sitting here watching the birds swoop in and feed while we just chatted quietly.  I wonder how many quiet moments we spent there.....

It was these dear memories that drove me to find a feeder here and get the birds to come and feed. 

Now that the birds have arrived at the feeder, I do seem to have one that feels it is just his/her feeder and sits and "chatters" to keep all the other birds away.

The dominate bird that has claimed the feeder
 
 
I believe that I have seen three different types of hummingbirds at the feeder.  There seem to be many just like the bird above that has claimed the feeder.  But, this guy/gal will buzz away any other bird that evens thinks about coming in for a drink.  It will sit on the balcony rail and just chatter for 20 minutes.  We don't seem to bother or scare it away, even when we are sitting at the dining table just 5 feet away.

 
This is the second type of hummingbird I have seen at the feeder.  It has a very light tan or off white chest and is much smaller in it's body.  It waits until the dominate bird is busy chasing away another bird before it will come very quickly to the feeder.
 

 
 
The third type of hummingbird does not come often but usually only in the very late afternoons.  It has a very small body and a very long thin tail.  I was just lucky to snap this picture of "her" visit and the camera was ready. 
 
When we move to the new condo, I will have to put up the feeder quickly to get the birds to come to our new home.  My next quest is to be able to identify the types of hummingbirds that I see.
 
Peggy
 


No comments:

Post a Comment